Vicksburg featured in AAA’s Southern Traveler and Midwest Traveler Thirteen places to visit in 2013
AAA travel magazines note Vicksburg’s rich tapestry and names our city in the “Top 13 Places in the World to See in 2013”
AAA Southern Traveler and AAA Midwest Traveler Thirteen places to visit in 2013, alphabetically:
1. Christchurch, New Zealand. The spirit of rebuilding and renewing itself after two devastating earthquakes in 2010 and 2011 inspired a bold Christchurch Reimagined campaign to bring tourists– especially from Australia–back. Visitors will want to experience the city’s vibrant art scene.
2. Dominican Republic. More flights and passengers (a 14 percent increase in U.S./Canadian travelers in the first quarter of 2012) coming in means additional hotels and services for tourists. Punta Cana will see new Westin and Sheraton (Four Points) hotels in 2013. Gran Bahia Resorts announced plans for five new hotels here.
3. Ireland. A year-long party highlighting Irish culture and tradition, The Gathering, is sure to draw visitors, especially since 70 million people around the world claim some Irish ancestry, according to Trafalgar, a preferred touring company for AAA. Some tour prices for Ireland–including “Irish Highlights,” an eight-day trip–have decreased by as much as 15 percent from last year.
4. Mexico. Last year, the Mexico Tourism Board touted its Mayan heritage as the international media looked at the end of the world predictions for December. Mexico understands the importance of tourism and this means visitors are welcomed and given great service and value for their investment.
5. Orlando, Fla. New offerings at Walt Disney World include an expanded Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. Universal Studios will launch its new attraction, TRANSFORMERS: The Ride–3D, this summer.
6. Panama. The expansion of the canal continues, and is estimated to be complete by 2014. Panama Canal cruises continue in popularity, but there’s much more than the canal here: beaches, rain forest, volcanic valleys, and a diverse population.
7. San Francisco. America’s Cup comes to the bay city in 2013, but that’s just one of many reasons to visit this great American city.
8. South Korea. This July, we’ll remember the 60th anniversary of the Korean War’s end, which could initiate travel interest among veterans and families. In addition, the 2013 Special Olympics’ Winter Games, Jan. 29–Feb. 5.
9. Spain. One of Europe’s great value destinations, the average per diem cost on all of Trafalgar Tour’s Spanish itineraries is $187; prices have decreased an average of 11 percent from 2012, says Trafalgar.
10. Sri Lanka. Another destination that’s off the beaten path, but you have to respect how this South Asian country has come back from the devastating 2004 tsunami and a civil war that ended in 2009.
11. Turkey. Still the best budget destination in Europe, travelers can enjoy this eastern European getaway for about $148 per day (Trafalgar Tours’ “Highlights of Turkey”).
12.Vegas. Always developing, Las Vegas, Nev., in 2013 will see new hotels, attractions, shows, and clubs.
13. Vicksburg, Miss. Civil War history is simply part of this city’s tapestry, but the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Vicksburg in July is sure to draw history buffs into town.