Efforts made to save historic Courthouse in Walthall
Efforts made to Save Historic Courthouse in Walthall
Local and state officials are encouraging Webster County officials to restore the 1915-built Webster County Courthouse in Walthall, Miss., which was recently gutted by a fire caused by an electrical malfunction.
State officials, included Mississippi Supreme Court Chief Justice Bill Waller Jr. have visited the Courthouse and encouraged the county board to restore the building and to appreciate the value of its history.
"The building is built extremely well – much of it with 12 inch thick floor slab systems, 3 wythe thick brick masonry walls and a fireproof liner of thin clay tile blocks. The ground floor received very little fire damage."
"This type of funding, based on restoring the existing building, would help ensure that the Courthouse can be preserved for the county," Stewart added.
According to a recent release, members of the Board of Supervisors, Emergency Management Agency, Chancery and Circuit Clerks, law enforcement and other Webster County officials have worked nonstop for the past week to save and move county records and property damaged in the Courthouse fire, and to arrange for a temporary location for the displaced offices.
Webster County government offices displaced by the recent fire that gutted the 1915-built building have temporarily moved from the Webster County Courthouse in Walthall to the Fox Avenue location in Eupora, including the offices of the Webster County Chancery Clerk, Circuit Clerk, Tax Assessor-Collector, Forestry Commission and County Purchasing Clerk.
County offices displaced from Walthall will temporarily share space with the Webster County Extension Service and the Webster County Justice Court. The Extension Service and Justice Court are permanently housed in Eupora. County workers have done emergency modifications to the Extension Service and Justice Court facility in Eupora to accommodate those offices displaced by the fire in Walthall.
No decision has been made regarding a permanent location for the offices, which occupied the courthouse in Walthall.